Are you a security guard in New York who is looking for better, wondering what the next step in your career might be? You’re not alone. Many security professionals aspire to take on leadership roles or seek new opportunities within their organizations. The good news is that, with determination and strategic planning, you can climb the career ladder and become a leader in the security industry.
To help you get started, we’ve put together a step-by-step guide for evolving from a security guard to a leader in New York. Along the way, we’ll share real-life examples and practical tips for achieving your goals.
Remember this is a guide, you need to take action for this to work for you
- Get certified: Your journey begins with obtaining the appropriate certifications. By completing courses and training programs recognized by the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services (NYSDCJS), you demonstrate your commitment to learning and your qualifications for leadership roles. For example, you might consider enrolling in a “16 Hour On the Job Training Course for Security Guards” (https://www.sscsecurityguardtraining.com/product/16-hour-on-the-job-training-course-for-security-guards/) or an “8 hrs pre-assignment” course to enhance your credentials.
here is a list
SECURITY GUARD TRAINING COURSES
Security Guard Courses (Required Courses):
- 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course
- 16 Hour On The Job Training Course
- 8 Hour Annual In-Service Training Course
Courses to make you more valuable:
- OSHA 10 Hour Construction Industry Outreach Training
- 30 Hour OSHA Construction Safety
- 4 hrs Flagger Course
- Fire Guard Training Course – F01
- Hospital And Cocierge Retail Security
- Gain experience: Acquiring diverse experiences will equip you with the skills and knowledge necessary to excel as a leader. Challenge yourself by taking on additional responsibilities or projects, participating in internships, or seeking part-time positions with other security firms. These experiences will expose you to various environments and challenges, making you an invaluable asset to your organization.
- Build your network: Networking is essential for career growth. Forge connections with other security professionals who can offer guidance, share best practices, and recommend new opportunities. Join online forums, attend industry events, and participate in organizations like the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS) to expand your network.
- Seek out leadership opportunities: Actively look for ways to showcase your leadership skills. Volunteer for leadership roles within your organization or take on responsibilities in community organizations. By demonstrating your ability to inspire and guide others, you’ll gain valuable leadership experience.
- Develop your leadership skills: Continuously work on refining your leadership abilities. Enroll in leadership development courses, read relevant books and articles, and seek mentorship from experienced leaders. By dedicating yourself to ongoing personal development, you’ll become a more effective and influential leader.
Paving the way for a successful career in leadership involves dedication, hard work, and strategic planning. By following these steps and staying true to your vision, you’ll make great strides in the security industry and beyond. Remember that the journey to leadership is a continuous process of learning, adapting, and growing. Stay current with the latest industry developments, and never stop pursuing new opportunities to refine your skills.
As you embark on this journey, remember that you’re not alone. At Sec-curity Safety Center, we believe in empowering our students to reach their full potential. We’re here to support you every step of the way, offering career counseling, job placement assistance, and access to a wealth of resources. Together, we can help you achieve your dream of becoming a respected and influential leader in the security industry.
We believe in you. GO for it!